28.19 Discipleship Catalyst
What is discipleship?
Jesus didn’t separate faith from practice: If someone heard what he had to say and took him at his word, Jesus called that person to become a “disciple” (that is, someone who becomes connected to Jesus, lives out his teachings and assists others to do the same). His last recorded words in the Gospel of Matthew are a command for those who believe in him to carry on the person-by-person chain of discipleship throughout the world:
“…go therefore and make disciples of all nations…”
Every Christian is called into a cycle of discipleship, and many of our servant-leaders at Grace Downtown serve by encouraging people in their journey of discipleship, particularly in prayer, mercy and justice, and Bible study. These servant-leaders include Community Group leaders and Mercy Team members, as well as members of our church who help guide and equip others relationally.
The 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst is designed to equip and support these servant-leaders as they promote discipleship in our community.
The 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst brings together servant-leaders from throughout the Grace Downtown community who have already been actively leading and serving and equips them to better promote a cycle of discipleship in the lives of the people they encourage and support.
Through classes led by Grace Downtown’s pastors, elders and diaconate; talks by guest speakers; one-on-one mentoring; and individual study, the 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst gives participants a deeper understanding of Grace Downtown’s vision for discipleship, how to flourish as a leader, the role of God’s grace in discipleship and related theological concepts, how to handle conflict and crisis, and how to engage cross-cultural relationships.
Participation in the 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst is a pre-requisite for being nominated to be an elder, deacon or deaconess.
This year, the 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst runs from August through December. It consists of seven group meetings plus individual study and one-on-one meetings with your mentor. To participate, you must be able to commit to the day-long kickoff meeting, at least four of the next five meetings, and the closing dinner.
8/18 Day-Long Kickoff Meeting (Mandatory)
9/19, 10/9, 11/5, 11/19, 12/3 6:30pm–9 Training Sessions (Must attend at least four out of the five)
12/10 Closing Dinner (Mandatory)
To be eligible for the 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst, you must be an official member of Grace Downtown and currently serve as either a CG leader or a member of the Mercy Team (formerly known as the ICU).
You are also eligible if you have served in one of those roles within the past two years, or if you are committed to serving on the Mercy Team while participating in 28.19 Discipleship Catalyst.
Exemptions to these requirements are handled on a case-by-case basis. If you are an official member of Grace Downtown who doesn’t meet the above requirements but are still interested in the program, contact Kara Callaghan.
Please copy the questions below into an email with your answers and send to Kara Callaghan by Aug. 1.
2. Phone number: Email:
3. Are you a member of Grace Downtown: Y___ N___
4. Are you a member of a Grace Downtown Community Group? Y___ N___ If yes, who are your CG leaders?
5. What ministries have you led or participated in at Grace Downtown in the last 2 years? Prior to the last 2 years?
6. Discipleship involves leading/helping others to worship and imitate Jesus Christ. Who are two people at Grace you have discipled in this manner? How?
7. Describe your interest in this program.
8. Which aspect of discipleship (e.g. teaching others to apply the bible to their lives, prayer, or mercy/justice service) most interests you?
9. How do you expect to apply this training to your ministry? (e.g. Do you aspire to serve as elder, deacon or deaconess? Serve on the Mercy Team? Disciple others within our church? Serve in some other leadership capacity?)
10. In what areas of bible knowledge or theology would you like to grow?
11. Are you able to commit to the training dates, missing no more than one?
12. Anything else you would like us to consider concerning your application?